Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Education is Overwhelming

Since attending my first weekend of School Management, I am beginning to question many things as teacher and future administrator.  We had many discussions last weekend on how to use technology as an administrator and a teacher.  It is becoming more and more clear that in my school, using technology is for engagement purposes.  I would like to think that it is for learning but most teachers use it as an engagement tool.  I too am guilty of this.  As an administrator I want to encourage technology because it exposes students to variety of instructional methods and does in fact engage most students.  However, if our primary focus is on how well our students score on tests than should I be worried about engagement? As a future administrator, I would like to say that engagement is what I want to see, but the pressure of test scores is going to take precendence. I personally, am getting confused on what is expected out of teachers.  Are we supposed to teach to the test?  Are we supposed to focus on Writing to Learn?  Are we supposed to focus on technology and engagement strategies?  Which one?  Most teachers are frustrated and overwhelmed because they simply can't do it all.  How do you handle this as an administrator?  How much is to much?

1 comment:

  1. Great questions, my overall response would be remember your integrity. You are a trained, competent professional who knows at the core what is best for your students. The only person that you truly have to live with is yourself, holding to your integrity makes life a lot easier. Do what you know you can, that is truly all the parents of your students expect.

    ReplyDelete