I often wonder if Steve Jobs knew how much his devices have effected the education. Ben Johnson, a former administrator and blogger on Edutopia, explains in his recent article, the uses of the iPad in the classrooms. There are apps available to educators and students that I did not know existed until reading this article. For example, if you were a math teacher you could use the Clineometer app to measure angles. A special education teacher can use the Dragon Dictation app with students who struggle with note taking. This app types the words for you while your teacher is speaking. Social Studies teachers can have students take a virtual tour of a country through the TourWrist app.
Reading this article, made me want to go to school and ask my principal if there was any money we had that we could spend on an iPAD mobile lab. Being an apple user, I didn't realize how many apps there were out there that specifically were applicable to student learning. The iPAD goes beyond Angry Birds and Facebook apps.
I also thought about the convenience of iPADS. They are smaller, compact, and more durable in many cases. I have seen our brand new mobile laptaps missing keys, have scratches all over them. Let's face it, kids are hard on things, especially technology, they need something durable that can last. I am also a bit biased because I am huge Apple supporter and they generally have better products, as well as better customer service.
I think I am going to go home and figure out a way to get an iPAD for Christmas, just so I can learn more about these Apps!
I agree with all the different applications that can be used for student learning and the benefits IPADs possess. The one thing I think is often overlooked by administration in implementation, however, is teacher training on the technology and how to utilize it. If we do not teach teachers how to incorporate the technology into their classes it will just be a high priced tool that collects dust in their classrooms. Incorporating teacher training into the implementation would be the vital key to unlocking all the avenues available through IPAD usage.
ReplyDelete