Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homework and Grading

Traditional grades versus standard based grading has become a hot topic in the last 5-10 years.  In
 U. S. schools,  70% of teachers use homework to figure student grades, as compared to other countries like Canada  and Japan (Vatterott, "Homework Central to Learning").  According to the article, "Homework is Central to Learning", there are three reasons why teachers continue to rely on grading homework assignments.  The most common response is that teachers fear that if they don't grade homework students will not do it.  Vatterot says that this is an illusion and that homework and grades only works for students who are motivated by grades.  As a future administrator, I still believe that we have to look beyond homework and the content.  I am a big believer in doing what works for your school.  I have to say that my feeling is we don't give homework as a way to assess student understanding, but because it teaches responsibility. The thought of using grades as a reward is often a common response too.  However, is a student's hardwork reflected in how much they know?  The last reason that is often used, is that homework is used to balance out a students grade who does not test well.  I have mixed feelings about this because I was one of those students.  I always earned A' and B's in my classes because I did my assignments and did them well, for I knew I would not do well on the test.  If I was not allowed to do this, I honestly think I would have been a C or D student.

The topic of grading is hard for me to take a strong stance on.  I understand both sides.  However, I also know that we as educators need to rethink why we give assignments.  Which are the most important?  Which assignments measure how much a student knows?  If I were to become an administrator in the future I would ask my staff these questions as well.  Overall, I believe in balance.  I would never take away grading assignments completely, but would begin to get teachers thinking about what assignments assess a student's learning.  I think the first step to change is talking about it.  Our school is currently taking that step.
http://www.educationalleadership-digital.com/educationalleadership/201111/?pg=62&pm=2&u1=friend#pg66

1 comment:

  1. As a lower elemenatary teacher, I struggle with the traditional grades we are required to give our students. I feel especially in lower elementary a standards based grading system would make more sense for the studnets but also the parents. It would allow for more useful information for parents to continue to work on skills that were not mastered.

    ReplyDelete